Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Jeff Huebert, Stonemason



I look out across the fields. There are no signs of hoard. Regardless the wall must be built to prevent to keep the Mongols out. I place the cornerstone and wake...

So last year we had Sargents nursery draw up landscaping plans for our backyard. We had a general idea of what we wanted, but I like the nice warm fuzzy of getting a second professional opinion. One of the focal points for the backyard was a T shaped wall with planters on top, a build in bench and a circular firepit on the side. This was meant to be a project that would take a couple of summers to do and could be done in stages at my leisure. Things never go as planned and it turns out I have a hard time working "at my leisure". I initially purchased the circular firepit pavers as a kit when I noticed they were on sale at Menards. While digging up the area, I came to the conclusion that it would be harder to come back later and dig around this area to add the wall. So I dug that out as well and started buying/laying the block for the wall first. Since I planned on doing this later I hadn't done the calculations of just how many block it would take. As of now I have purchased 400 block and will shortly be done with 1/2 of the wall. The process of purchasing the block, loading them into the Pilot, unloading them into the backyard, chiseling the top indents off and gluing them into place is taking a significant amount of time. However it's strangely satisfying in that it feels like I'm building the pyramids or something. The chiseling, the sounds of stone scraping stone, it's fun. I just wish I could convince myself to take my time...

No comments: